"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits."

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Slightly different timeframe...


I saw the chart of GILD and thought that it had made a day and a half run-up without much profit-taking. Basically since 10:30 am yesterday morning it has been running up based on a press-release that its HIV drug has been successful mid-stage. That's good news, for the stock and for the patients, but some profit should be taken off the move, I'd say. I took a double position short and right now I'm getting my head handed to me in the short-term... down $300. But, I have a slightly different timeframe on this paper-trade. More than my normal few minutes! Right now, I'm about to see if it will double-top or bust through to HOD. I'm curious if my instincts were correct for a swing-trade here.
It took a while to get this typed and uploaded... the stock did hit HOD but is hanging there, down roughly $350 to $400. I can't sit here and watch it because I must attend to a construction issue here at the home. If it drops, I will just assume I would have taken profits. If it surges, I'll assume I got crushed in the short-term and will hold to see what happens longer term

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I have enjoyed following your occasional updates. I am currently trading - well, trying to trade - daily swings, but I would like to eventually get back into intra-day. Mind if I ask which software you are using? I am not familiar with that interface.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using IB as my broker and QuoteTracker for my charts. I don't trade through QuoteTracker, just use it for charting. Oh, by the way, it is a free platform because Mrs. Bluecollar and I have some retirement money with TD Ameritrade. QT used to be free to everyone but now has stipulations. Check them out to verify that they are not still free to everyone, don't take my word for it...because their guidelines and promotions may have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I have an Ameritrade account as well, but I can't seem to find QT listed anywhere.

    So the screenshot you post is a combination of the two? Your paper trading is performed thru the IB interface? I just applied for an IB account and haven't been able to log on yet. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll review your remarks and post on the site assuming they are respectful.