"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits."

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27th


I had a few minutes near the end of the day to have a look in on the markets. I was trading in my live account today for the first time since last fall. I found TV had dropped significantly throughout the day and watched it for a rebound at end of day. It hit a spot where I felt a pullback might occur and traded a mere 250 shares manually(limit order without using the quick entry, preset button). I was about 5-6 minutes early on the reversal; I sold the minor gain in the last minute when it felt like it had run out of gas. Unfortunately, because of my infrequent use of this live account, I had forgotten that the short-cut "button" was preset to 500 shares. So, what ended up happening when I closed the 250 share long position was an additional trade going short for the same # of shares. I bailed on that when I realized my error, losing most of the tiny, single-digit gain I had. Oh, well. NBD. This was never meant to be a money-maker to begin with.
This was more or less a practice-trade to test my reversal instincts with real money on the line, even if it was only a $5,000 position. I'm satisfied with the result. I didn't add to the position when it was losing money, and I waited for my idea to develop. My entry was based on study of chart and momentum, as was my exit. As mentioned earlier, the entry was a bit quick but the exit was dead-on.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting BCT.

    Meh - clerical errors =/ At least I know I am in good company. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I won't repeat that error. Although, I expect to make some mistakes every now and then (or more frequently).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll review your remarks and post on the site assuming they are respectful.